Monday, August 4, 2008

Aircon or fans for childcare centres?

Thot you may find this ST Forum page article today of interest.
(If I am not mistaken, the writer is our intrepid Mt Everest conqueror)


Aug 4, 2008

Fans for healthier childcare centres


MY SON attends Kindergarten 1 in a PAP childcare centre in Punggol. The classroom is air-conditioned.

I suggest childcare centres use fans with open windows for natural ventilation. It is much healthier for children, reduces energy consumption and is environmentally friendly.

There is another childcare centre at Block 175D in Punggol that is an excellent example, with open windows, fans and well ventilated.


We should teach our young ones to be less reliant on air-conditioning as part of the global effort to save the planet. The best way is to show by example. It is also a small but important step in teaching our young ones to be in touch with nature.

I have heard of parents who place their newborn in air-conditioning 24/7. I find it hard to believe, yet sad if true. There is much talk recently about our young ones being less rugged. I suggest not using air-conditioning is one small but important step to training them to be more rugged.

Let's enjoy Singapore's clean air. The old-fashioned fan is more than sufficient to cool off. Since my wife and I have our kids, I've decided it's healthier for them to live at home without air-conditioning. It's also good for my wife and me and reduces our energy consumption.

Khoo Swee Chiow

No comments: