Tuesday, November 11, 2008

My ECE Assignments : Philosophy Module

"My ECE Assignment" series is meant to demystify ECE and make it a more pleasurable endeavour for those of us who are willing to commit to it :

My Personal Philosophy of Teaching

I believe that early childhood education (ECE) is one of the most important building blocks, if not the most important, for a child to develop a successful foundation for his future adult life. Research has shown that these critical years of 0-6 years of age must be maximized for every child, and I wholeheartedly subscribe to this statement.

As a teacher, I therefore have every opportunity to provide positive experiences for the children in the classroom, in their field trips and in all their day-to-day interactions, including the community and their parents. For example, a 3 year old child in Nursery who has an inclination for biting another child is an opportunity for me to teach her empathy, by showing her that biting causes pain and distress to others, and thus just as it should not be done to her, it should not be done to others. Likewise, a K2 child will better understand his environment and the reasons for recycling if shown the negative effects of wasting water at home or in school, allowing him thereafter to change his behaviour for the better.

To me, a teacher is therefore a mind-expander for the child. As a teacher, I can show the child how the world works every single day and the wonder that comes with it. The minds of the children are as mouldable as clay, and yet, as absorbent as a sponge in a tub.

The teacher thus carries both the privilege and the heavy responsibility of shaping the child’s mind in these critical early years by sowing the seeds for a wonderful journey of continuous learning that will lead to a successful adult life for the child. The early childhood educator therefore is a noble profession indeed.

This is my philosophy of teaching.

George Lee
NIM